Monday 16 April 2012

One Step at a Time

One Step at a Time


As the time draws closer to running my first marathon (London, www.virginlondonmarathon.com), I've started to think a lot about the journey over the last couple of years. Going from occasional runner to being in a position to tackle a marathon. How did I get to this position, a position I never thought was possible several years ago, and was there any secret formula to my achievement? The secret, if there is such a thing, was to set reasonable achievable targets. I could imagine it being like facing Everest for the first time. If you thought "how am I going to get from the bottom to the top?" chances are you would be completely overwhelmed and most likely give up. However, if you took the approach, "how am I going to get to first camp? this would be an achievable target. "I can do this!" Once at first camp, your next focus would be on getting to 2nd camp and so on.
Over the last couple of years I have built up gradually from 5K and 10K races to tackling 10 milers and 1/2 marathons. Races of 10 mile + were initially a struggle to get to grips with and after a miserable attempts I felt I was trying to cross a bridge too far and should maybe stick to the shorter distances. On deciding to have one last go at running a decent 1/2 marathon, as part of my build up I entered a 10 mile race a few weeks before the big day. By treating the 10 mile race as 3 x 5k (plus a bit at the end), and by aiming to deliberately run at easy training pace I figured it would be easier to handle my energy levels and finish with a little left in the tank. This would give me confidence that I could run a further 3 miles comfortably and easily complete the half-marathon at a comfortable even pace. This philosophy worked a treat as I completed the 10 miles in a PB and felt less daunted about tackling the longer distance. With a "comfortable" 1/2 marathon under my belt, my focus then turned to the full monty!! I won't lie, there is a big jump from 1/2 to full marathon (13.1 miles of a jump to be exact), but I've continued to take the philosophy of breaking long training runs into "bite-size" distances and running each comfortably so that there is always something left in the tank. As I prepare to toe the line at London this Sunday, I'm hoping that in the excitement I don't forget to stick to the plan that I find works for me. Regardless of what level you are at, it is important to find a plan that works for you and to take each stage one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment